Some dogs have sensitive stomachs. They are either genetically pre-disposed to it, or have a high level of anxiety, which causes stomach and digestive issues. Breeds such as Staffordshire Terriers, Boston Terriers, Boxer, German Shepherd, Basenji, Wheaten Terriers, Shar Pei, Rottweiler, Greyhound and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels seem particularly prone to stomach disorder and digestive issues.
Stomach issues often cause dehydration in your dog, which brings the risk of kidney and liver diseases. If left untreated it can compound into “dog IBS”, better known as Inflammatory Bowel Disorder (IBD).
There are simple ways you can change a dogs diet, to help with dietary sensitivity.
Using a food specially formulated for digestive health can help. These foods often contain:
- Low fat to improve digestive function
- Antioxidants to protect the delicate lining of the intestinal system
- High quality, easily absorbed ingredients to ensure that all the nutrients they need are being absorbed
- High quality, fermentable fibre, to ensure gentle digestion
- Novel proteins such as duck or venison to reduce the likelihood of intolerances