Skin and Coat
Many issues relating to coat and skin can be fixed by diet. Dogs have intolerance to various food, which can cause skin irritation and result in extreme scratching. Many dogs have a low tolerance to gluten and lactose. Foods that contain a good balance of the following can help with food related skin allergies:
- Vitamin A – this fat soluble vitamin promotes the growth of healthy hair and skin.
- Vitamin E – a natural antioxidant that will protect skin from damage.
- B vitamins such as biotin – will help the body promote growth of new skin cells, and keep hair soft and supple.
- Zinc and copper – these minerals are essential for healthy skin and hair, and deficiencies of either will cause hair loss and itchy and inflamed skin.
- Omega 3 and 6 – support skin elasticity and a glossy coat.